Skip to main content

File Your Taxes

The IRS is currently accepting 2021 tax returns until April 18, 2022. Information on who needs to file a tax return is located here.

For questions and assistance on filing your taxes, get connected to IRC’s free tax preparation program or find local resources in your community here.

People that arrived after July 2, 2021, are not eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Childcare Tax Credit (CTC). If you filed taxes and received these funds you can amend your return to avoid an audit risk. To amend your return, you can go to the place that helped you file your taxes and request an amendment. They will provide instructions on what to do with any funds you received. For questions on stimulus eligibility, please see the guidance document here or speak to a tax professional.

If you arrived in 2021 and want to file taxes, you can file your 1040NR by April 18th at or file for an extension at If you file for an extension you will have to file taxes later in the year before October.

Note: Given the unique circumstances of each individual or family’s situation, this guidance may not apply in all cases, nor is it meant to be definitive. It is advisable for all Afghan parolees to consult with a trusted and qualified tax advisor when preparing tax filings.




You are required to file taxes if you made at least $12,550 as a single or $25,100 if you are married. You might not be required to file a tax return in some cases, but it could be beneficial to file one anyway. Here are some situations where that could be the case:

  • You Can Get a Refund of Withheld or Estimated Taxes: If your employer withheld federal income taxes from your pay or you made estimated tax payments, filing a tax return may allow you to receive some or all of those overpayments back in the form of a tax refund.
  • You Can Claim Refundable Tax Credits: Refundable tax credits are particularly valuable for low-income taxpayers because they can provide a refund beyond what you paid for the year via withholding or estimated tax payments.
  • Refundable credits include:
      • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). The EITC is a tax credit for lower-income working people. For 2021, it’s worth up to $6,728, but you must meet strict income limits and other requirements to qualify. The income limits change each year and depend on your filing status and how many dependents you can claim. You can’t claim the credit if you have more than $10,000 of investment income.
      • Child Tax Credit (CTC). The CTC is designed to help low- and moderate-income families offset the cost of raising kids. For 2021, it’s worth up to $3,600 for each child under age six and up to $3,000 per child age six through 17.
      • Recovery Rebate Credit. If you didn’t receive a third Economic Impact Payment, also known as a stimulus payment, or didn’t get the full amount, you may be able to take it as a tax credit on your 2021 tax return.


The IRS's Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs offer free basic tax return preparation to qualified individuals. The VITA program has operated for over 50 years.VITA sites offer free tax help to people who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns, including, People who generally make $58,000 or less; Persons with disabilities; and Limited English-speaking taxpayers.

Click on this link to request an appointment with a certified volunteer:



Click here to see a comprehensive list of documents you might need to bring in your tax appointment.

Connect with SAFE to learn more.