Skip to main content

File Your Taxes

Annual tax returns are prepared from mid-January through mid-April for the previous year. The IRS is accepting 2022 tax returns from January 30-April 17, 2023. More information on filing your taxes can be found in the questions below or at the following resources.



You are required to file taxes if you made at least $12,550 as a single or $25,100 if you are married. You might not be required to file a tax return in some cases, but it could be beneficial to file one anyway. Here are some situations where that could be the case:

  • You Can Get a Refund of Withheld or Estimated Taxes: If your employer withheld federal income taxes from your pay or you made estimated tax payments, filing a tax return may allow you to receive some or all of those overpayments back in the form of a tax refund.
  • You Can Claim Tax Credits: Tax credits are particularly valuable for low-income taxpayers because they can provide a refund beyond what you paid for the year via withholding or estimated tax payments.
  • Refundable credits include:
      • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). The EITC is a tax credit for lower-income working people.  The income limits change each year and depend on your filing status and how many dependents you can claim. You can’t claim the credit if you have more than $10,000 of investment income.
      • Child Tax Credit (CTC). The CTC is designed to help low- and moderate-income families offset the cost of raising kids. For 2022, it’s worth up to $2,000 for each child through age 16.
      • Recovery Rebate Credit. If you didn’t receive a third Economic Impact Payment, also known as a stimulus payment, or didn’t get the full amount, you may be able to take it as a tax credit on your 2021 tax return.


The IRS's Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs offer free basic tax return preparation to qualified individuals. The VITA program has operated for over 50 years.VITA sites offer free tax help to people who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns, including, People who generally make $60,000 or less; Persons with disabilities; and Limited English-speaking taxpayers.


The IRC is offering virtual or in-person tax preparation services in the following six cities: Dallas TX, Denver CO, Elizabeth NJ, New York City NY, Phoenix AZ or Salt Lake City UT. To make an appointment at one of these offices register here

To find another VITA tax preparation site near you, search for locations here or you can work with a virtual tax preparer at



In order to prepare your tax return, you will need the following items:

  • Proof of Identification with photo (driver's license, state-issued identification card, employment authorization, etc.)
  • Social Security Card or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN): Cards are needed for the taxpayer, your spouse if filing a joint return, and any eligible dependents you are claiming on your tax return
  • All income documents you receive: This includes Form W-2s, 1099MISC’s, 1099R’s, 1099INT’s or any other income documentation you receive
  • All tax documents associated with any deductions or credits that you are electing to claim on your tax return. Could include: property tax statements, medical expenses, mortgage interest statements, student loan interest statements, tuition payment statements, and/or IRS-issued statements.
  • Copy of last year’s tax return if available
  • Proof of account for direct deposit of refund (Deposit slip cannot be used)
  • Total paid to daycare provider and their tax ID number
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and or dependents on the return
  • Proof of foreign status if applying for ITIN
  • Forms 1095-A, B or C (Affordable Health Care Statements)
  • If filing a joint return, you will need all the documents above for your spouse/partner

Click here to see a comprehensive list of documents you might need to bring in your tax appointment.

Connect with SAFE to learn more.